In-Ground Swimming Pool Design – Minneapolis St. Paul, MN
Once you have decided to add an in-ground swimming pool to your home or business property, your next step is to choose a design. There are so many options and questions that it may seem a mind-boggling task. Don’t worry. With the help of an experienced designer, what seems like an impossible job will become a pleasant experience of moving from the dream to the reality. One of our designers will help guide you through every stage of the design and construction process.
We can show you all available options and tell you the advantages and disadvantages of each option. We’ll help you in our showroom or in your home to make this complicated process a pleasant and fun experience. Here are just some of the decisions you’ll need to make:
- Pumps and Filters
- Pool Covers
- Steps and Ladders
How much your new swimming pool costs is affected by your design choices, of course. From choosing whether to build a vinyl inground pool or a concrete pool, to deciding its size, shape, system equipment, features, and accessories, just about everything involves choices. Those choices are all part of the excitement of planning your new backyard swimming pool.
Pool Design and Construction
Once the pool design is finalized, our Minnesota pool company will prepare a bid for your project. Once you accept the bid and arrange financing, we’ll schedule the construction dates. Here’s what happens next, using a vinyl pool design, the most popular choice.
The basic construction of a vinyl inground pool takes about a week, more or less, depending on the particular site and weather. Once it’s installed, allow additional time for decking and landscaping work. Many prospective pool owners ask, “Is the pool’s construction process going to damage my backyard?” The answer is that it won’t damage your backyard; it will transform it. A swimming pool is a major addition that will transform your property, and you’ll want to redesign your landscaping in any case, to blend with your exciting new outdoor recreation center. Here are the steps used to build a typical vinyl in-ground pool:
- Site Layout – The site will be very carefully laid out in preparation for excavation. Stakes and chalk lines will mark the excavation area. Precision is needed, and layout is an exacting process.
- Excavation – A backhoe and other excavation equipment will access the site and dig a complex hole for the installation. Precision work makes the excavation exactly the right shape and size. Only expert, experienced excavators can handle this job properly. The removed dirt is piled carefully on the site for later use in backfill and landscaping. The excess is removed at the end of the work.
- Walls and Bracing – With the excavation complete, the steel sidewalls of the pool, plus a triple bracing system are carefully installed, and made perfectly level at the top of the pool. All materials are extremely corrosion resistant. Some installers use less bracing than is needed for Minnesota’s requirements to cut their costs. We always install full bracing, to assure long life.
- Plumbing – Rigid and flexible pipe is installed, complete with fittings for drains and other inlets and outlets. Unlike some Twin Cities pool builders, we install separate lines for each outlet to assure simpler maintenance and repair, if it is ever needed. It’s part of our detail-oriented philosophy. We never scrimp on details to cut costs.
- Pump and Filter System – All plumbing leads to the pump and filter station, where it is connected using manifolds. Each line has a separate valve, and all plumbing is carefully tested for leaks.
- Additional Bracing – Unlike some Minnesota pool contractors, we install additional vertical concrete-filled bracing around the perimeter of the excavation. This ties the backfill together and prevents ground movements.
- Poolcrete Installation – Poolcrete is a specially formulated concrete mixture, custom-mixed on the site. It is pumped and placed to line the entire excavation below the wall panels. This material is carefully smoothed and finished with trowels to provide a smooth, hard, solid durable lining to support the vinyl lining. Some builders may just use simple sand for this job to cut costs. Poolcrete is the right way to do the job.
- Lining Installation – The vinyl liner you have chosen, complete with decorative features, is carefully installed and attached to the wall structure. Special care is needed here, to make sure no wrinkles or air pockets are left behind. This is a painstaking, but critical job.
- Drain and Other Fittings – Once the liner is in place, the finish fittings are installed for drains and other openings. These must be painstakingly sealed to prevent leaks.
- Steps and Lighting – As with the plumbing fittings, these must also be carefully installed and sealed to the vinyl liner. Any sloppy work here can cause leaks. Experience counts with these tasks.
- Backfilling – Once all the steps above are complete, a final check is made of all aspects of the installation, and then the earthen backfill is carefully placed in the excavation.
- Filling – Finally, the pool can be filled with water. This takes some time, as you can imagine. When the pool is filled, the pump and filter are started and tested.
- Finishing Up – With the pool construction complete, the surrounding decking and landscaping of your site to your design can begin. The time needed for this finish work depends on the complexity of your design. Ask us for creative ideas to make your new backyard’s landscape more fun and enjoyable.
- Enjoyment – Once landscaping and decking is done, it’s time to throw a big party to celebrate your new swimming pool and surrounding amenities. You’ve earned it!
A Variety of In-Ground Pool Designs – Minneapolis St. Paul, MN
Let our pool designers walk you through the design and construction process and make it a pleasant and fun experience. One of our experienced designers will be happy to help you create the perfect pool to enhance your home in the Twin Cities. Our 30+ years of experience assures you that the process will be pleasant and rewarding. Contact us today to get your project started.